About Me

My photo
Mississippi, United States

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Week Five Reflection Question

What are authoring systems?

Authoring systems is academic software teachers can use to create their own presentations and lesson plans. Students can also use this software. This uses a hypermedia format, which means, it uses links within the presentation to take the user to various cards, slides, or pages. This software utilizes graphics, video, audio, and text. The hypermedia aspect allows the teacher to create a presentation that allows the user to move through the information at their own pace and need and go back and view over and over again. The most popular Windows authoring system is HyperStudio. Apple had Hypercard, and the most popular software used without anyone realizing they are making it an authoring system is PowerPoint. PowerPoint is more user-friendly than HyperStudio and the format is more what the user is accustomed to seeing. HyperStudio also has a major issue to me in that you have to plan REALLY well in order to use it effectively – while PowerPoint can be easily changed and manipulated. These can be viewed on the offline and online since these programs can translate the language into HTML.

What is the difference between drill-and-practice software and tutorial software?

Drill-and-practice software does not present new material – it is practicing material that has already been presented. This method should provide instant feedback to the user.
Tutorial software presents new material and can be in a particular order for users to follow or allow users to click and jump. This can also provide instant feedback to the user, but does not have to.

When is it appropriate to use each in teaching and learning?

Tutorial software may be appropriate in letting students learn a particular function of a software program. For example, if you were teaching your students how to change the formatting of text students could use a tutorial. The tutorial should include evaluation, so a quiz along the way asking them questions to make sure they understand would be needed. It could be a quiz that forces the student to re-visit a particular area of the tutorial if they miss so many questions.

Drill-and-practice software may be appropriate if you are teaching your students multiplication tables. After teaching one set, the teacher could direct the students to the drill-and-practice software (this is where it would be beneficial to cross over to a more gaming-type software). Students could then answer the questions, get instant feedback, and be more engaged in the learning process.

3 comments:

  1. This is really interesting. I am creating a tutorial for another class and using PowerPoint to create it. I've never used HyperStudio. I guess it's because I don't think I've ever had access to it. I am getting ready to teach my students to use PowerPoint in a number of ways. More than likely, before the semester is over, they will have turned it into an authoring system too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in creating a tutorial for a class. I think it would be interesting to create. I have used PowerPoint to create a quiz, but I have never thought about creating a tutorial. I have used HyperStudio a few times, but I am by no means an expert. I am not a planner, I am a doer.

    ReplyDelete