About Me

My photo
Mississippi, United States

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week Three Reflection Question

How can an Instructional design model help you develop your instructional plan?

Having your instructional design model already established can help you develop your instructional plan by providing a base. All the parts of the base help you prepare to write your lesson plans. (Know the learner) You can make sure your students are prepared to learn the lesson by pre-testing/evaluating students – getting a feel for their current skill level and stage of development.
(State your objective) You have to make sure your lesson plan measures performance outcomes and targets the specific objective(s) you are teaching.
(Establish the learning environment) You can make sure the classroom is set up appropriately for the lesson. You may need to decide how to group students.
(Identify teaching and learning strategies) You have to decide to do to make sure they connect it to prior learning and what you can do to make sure the information is reinforced. What can you do to make sure they use their new knowledge practically?
(Identify and select technologies) You have to choose the technology that can capture the attention without overtaking the attention of the students. You have to think about what is available and what will work in the environment you have and with the students you have and their learning styles and multiple intelligences.
(Perform a summative evaluation) Evaluations along the way or one at the end – which will it be? You have to determine what will best evaluate your students performance and show you whether your lesson plans were effective or not and whether you should move on or not.

Identify the steps of the Dynamic Instructional Design (DID) model and briefly explain each.
Step 1: Know the learners – Skill level, learning style, stage of development

Step 2: State your objectives – Objectives are measurable, hit all levels of DOK

Step 3: Establish the learning environment – Class management, physical space, security,
Interaction, attitude

Step 4: Identify teaching and learning strategies – Varied, diversified instruction and methods

Step 5: Identify and select technologies – Tools to enhance teaching and learning strategies

Step 6: Perform a summative evaluation – Plan to evaluate effectiveness

3 comments:

  1. Good job in describing the steps of DID model. It would be easier to understand if you combine your explanation with the listed steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something funny came to me as I was reading over the information for this week. What would school be like if everyone was using instructional design models, completing lesson plans according to the models, and actually using the plans? Because I came to the field through the alternate route, some of this information is brand new to me, even though I've been around for almost thirteen years now. It has only been since I started learning about instructional models that my anxiety over comnpleting lesson plans has started to subside. I think I also understand now why it is so hard for so many people to create lesson plans. We attempt to start in the middle of the process (the lesson plan) and not at the beginning. If we embrace the steps prior to the plan, I think the plan will become second nature. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my biggest fear in becoming a instructor is not being able to create effective lesson plans. I am also going a non-traditional route in getting my teaching degree. After reading Chapter 2, I think that I have a structure to go by. I am all about using examples. When I was in high school, the teachers would also put the stronger students with the ones that needed help. I would always spend alot of time helping other students. I would not get to involved in the activity. The class should always be arranged be the most effective way

    ReplyDelete