About Me

My photo
Mississippi, United States

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Word Flyer - PowerPoint Quiz - Excel Grading Chart

WORD FLYER
POWERPOINT QUIZ

EXCEL GRADING CHART


This is right up my alley! I love Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. I think this is the fun stuff and therefore, easy for me to complete. These are pretty easy to pick up and it doesn’t take long for students to take off on their own and figure how things work.

The only part I struggle with is the creativity part - I'm not Martha Stewart!
The PowerPoint quiz was similar to having to create my portfolio in my undergraduate classes and was pretty easy. You just have to make sure all your links work. This can be tricky and requires you to check and re-check all your links. I find it easiest to stop once I find a mistake, correct it, then start from the beginning again and click all over again until I get all the way through.

These are all assignments that can easily be integrated into any classroom and make learning fun for students. Kids love to play on the computer, so having them create flyers, presentations, and spreadsheets can give them skills they almost have to have throughout their school days and work while they are learning various concepts. I like the idea of incorporating helping others in lessons, so I think a good project would be for students to find a need (or the teacher could contact local businesses, shelters, animal shelters, food banks, etc) and then produce a document, chart, PowerPoint for them. For example, maybe the local animal shelter is in need of some items and they are holding a drive. The students could be broken into groups of three to plan and develop some flyers. They could then create several different versions and present them to the animal shelter for placement. Another example is at the beginning of the school year, the teacher could have students create a PowerPoint presentation about themselves. This helps introduce themselves to the class, works on presentation skills, and helps develop relationships among peers. The spreadsheet lesson could be a grading chart for each individual student completed as the semester or year goes along. The student could complete the initial setup and add their own grades as they go along. Toward the end of the year or semester, the teacher could show them how to complete a chart. This in itself could be a graded activity and something they could take home to their parents to show their progress.

7 comments:

  1. I would like to read more on your learning experience and view your projects. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have now linked my projects and wrote a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ou don't have to make may posts on the same topic. You can click Edit button and add what you want to add and the links. I would suggest that you view Laurie's blog and see how others reflect their learning experiences in working with projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the creativity. I thought I had a flyer that was fabulous, but it turned out to be too wordy. I'm finding out that I am just too wordy. LOL. I'm going to start working on that right now. Your projects were look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your flyer. I had fum with the project because I like to use different elements in my work. I always search the web for clipart. You use look at clipart.com for clip art. The site is were I get most of my ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ladies - love the feedback!

    Thanks, Dr. Wang - I will check Laurie's out

    ReplyDelete